Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Holiday Meme

Stolen from Jen. 1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Mulled wine. Egg nog is too sickly sweet, and hot chocolate? I can have that any time! 2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps them. (Well, he did back when we had presents from Santa. The kids are past that now.) 3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Coloured! Lots and lots of lovely colour! 4. Do you hang mistletoe? Indeed. Right in the arch that joins front entry to livingroom, so I can smooch anyone who appeals to me... heh. 5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually by now! Right now all we have up is the wreath on the front door! Lights go up this weekend. 6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Ummmm... Probably the turkey. I know, how uncreative. But I love turkey. With gravy. Lots and lots of gravy. 7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Oh, goodness. They all sort of blend together, you know? I remember opening that one gift on Christmas eve, and practically bursting with anticipation of the others in the pile. My sister, brother, and I opening my stocking in the wee small hours of Christmas morning. (This was allowed.) Putting up the tree with my mother and grandmother, siblings, and aunt, while my grandfather manned the records. Sometimes (once?) he played carols on the piano. Everyone around the table in my grandparents' dining room for Christmas dinner. Christmas carollers coming to the door; being a Christmas caroller. All sorts of memories. I think I'm saying I don't have a favourite, aren't I? 8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? No idea. I don't remember believing in Santa, though I guess I did at some time. 9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, though we did in my childhood family. 10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? While my eldest sorts out the strings of lights, I put on the Christmas music, generally including Charlie Brown's Christmas, and a Blind Boys of Alabama/Nat King Cole disk we burned, among others. Lights go on the bare tree, then each of the kids has a box of their own ornaments that they add, while I put on the others. Oh, and hot chocolate. Always hot chocolate while we do this, and sing. 11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love the first few falls. By mid-January, though, it can Go Away. 12. Can you ice skate? I'm stealing Jen's answer to this question, because it so fits me, too: "By most people's definition, no." 13. Do you remember your favorite gift? No. As I say, my Christmas memories tend to be one happy blur. 14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? One thing? ONE thing? The gift-giving!!! Remembering the original Christmas. Or maybe the music. No, the lights. The Christmas eve service at church! Or maybe, getting cards and decorating with them. Oh! The tree!! Love the tree. Crowds in the stores (really - as long as I'm not trying to do serious shopping, which I rarely do in December). Snowfall in the evening, glimmering against the Christmas lights. Holiday baking. Wine with friends? Yes! All of it! There is no One Thing. 15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I make these great chocolate brandy balls. Yummm... 16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? On Christmas morning, the children go downstairs and get their stockings from the mantle, go into the kitchen and make me a cup of tea, then come upstairs and they open their stockings on my bed while I sip my tea. 17. What tops your tree? She does (see right). A gorgeous Christmas angel, who looks like she has a bit of faerie in her. 18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving. I do Christmas shopping throughout the year, and I love every minute of it. 19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? "Oh, Holy Night" (which is a carol, not a song*). It was my grandfather's favourite, too. (*Carols are steeped in tradition and grounded in the heritage and history of the celebration; songs, while they can be pretty and eminently sing-able, are neither. Eg., "Silent Night" vs "Rudolph"; "Away in a Manger" vs "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas".) I don't tag for memes. If you want to do this one, let me know in the comments, and I'll link to you! ~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

10 Comments:

Blogger Tommy Estlund said...

Hey! Neither left handed NOR dyslexic...now, why do you ask? (c;

Mystery

12/06/2006 10:43:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Sharkey said...

O Holy Night is one of my favorites too (I think we had this discussion at my place last year).

This is a fun meme, and since I've been somewhat uninspired lately I think I might just do it!

12/06/2006 12:33:00 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

We have lobster on Christmas Eve in my family... Now that trunmps turkey any time if you ask me! I'll do this some time in the next week or so, but don't worry about linking me because I don't expect you to come around checking to see when i've done it!

12/06/2006 02:09:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I've not tried Mulled Wine, but have tried Mulled Cider, yummm! Will have to try the wine some time.

12/06/2006 04:02:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Cassie said...

I just did it, but it won't be posted until later tonight.
It was a fun meme.

12/06/2006 05:46:00 p.m.  
Blogger Danielle Meehan (Mom) said...

I'd love to get this meme. This is our first Christmas with our Jeffrey and I'm eager to start our own traditions (even if I'm not sure what they're going to be yet)

12/06/2006 08:37:00 p.m.  
Blogger Andie D. said...

My favorite line...

"Faaaaaaaaaaalll on your kneeeeeeees..."

I love the song too! Thanks for the reminder!

And how ever did you get your kids to bring you tea on Christmas? What a lovely tradition!

12/06/2006 11:18:00 p.m.  
Blogger jen said...

great list. love the angel.

Mine is What Child Is This. Such a haunting melody.

12/07/2006 12:22:00 a.m.  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Sharkey: Memes are good for when inspiration dries up, aren't they? That's why you saw this one! Well, that and I liked it.

Kittenpie: We have Chinese food, ordered in, on Christmas Eve. (Which trumps lobster in my shellfood-averse stomach.) Pop over and tell me when you've done it, if you have time; I'd like to see it!

MamacitaTina: There's a recipe in the Joy of Cooking; there are also 'kits' you can buy in wine stores to make your own without measuring. Though, come to think of it, I haven't seen any this year...

Cassie: Hello! I thought it was fun. Glad you liked it.

Danielle: It's fun to plan traditions on the clean slate of your baby. Some traditions just emerge, unplanned, often revealed when your child says, "But we always..." and you realize, "Well! So we do!" Not that you'd ever noticed before...

AndieD: That whole section is the most powerful. Great stuff.

You know what? That 'tea in bed' tradition is one of which just emerged. I think it started because I wouldn't let them start opening until I'd made myself a cup of tea; eventually they got smart and jump-started the process by making it for me!

Jen: The picture doesn't show her to best effect. Mine is such a light-hungry camera, I MUST use a flash for all indoor shots, and so she's kind of washed out.

Oh, I love 'What Child is This?"!! Haunting is right. Its melody is that of the lovely old folk tune, 'Greensleeves'. Do you know it?

12/07/2006 08:15:00 a.m.  
Blogger sirbarrett said...

You angel is pretty. My favorite tune is 'Lo, How the Rose Ere Bloometh'

12/11/2006 03:34:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home