Monday, July 17, 2006

And you think I'm Patient!!

George's mother emailed me this transcript of an exchange she had with her son last week. Yes, she really does speak like that - clear and methodical. And the patience! Lordy, the patience! George: Mummy, how did you feel when you were four? George's mummy: Well, I was sick quite a bit when I was four. G: No, I mean, how did you feel? Mummy: Do you mean, did I feel happy or sad? G: (annoyed) No. I mean how did you FEEL? Mummy: Are you asking me what did I feel like doing when I was four? G: (impatient). NO. I mean How Did You FEEL? M: (perplexed) OK, George, I don’t understand. Usually when people talk about how they feel, they mean one of three things. The first is whether they feel sick or well. The second is whether they feel happy or sad. The third is what they feel like doing, what they want to do. I asked you if you meant any of those three things, and you said no. So you’ll have to explain to me more what you are asking when you say “how do you feel.” G: I mean, how. did. you. feel. when. you. were. four!? M: George, I need you to explain a bit more. I don’t understand. Can you tell me another way? G: (totally exasperated at having to explain something so obvious). I mean, when you were four, did you feel grown-up!!! M: That’s a very good question. I felt grown up compared to my younger sister, but I still felt like a child. G: Well, I’m all grown up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ © 2006, Mary P

15 Comments:

Blogger MsSisyphus said...

I pink puffy heart George. He's a thinker. And a plotter--I'd like to know what grown up thing he felt capable of doing.

7/17/2006 09:59:00 a.m.  
Blogger Kat O+ said...

Mary, as you might remember from some of the earliest comments I made on your blog...George has always been my favourite. :-)

7/17/2006 11:22:00 a.m.  
Blogger Kristen said...

Aw, George. Bryce gets frustrated when I don't understand his complex, yet hidden questions too. :-)

7/17/2006 12:05:00 p.m.  
Blogger LoryKC said...

I've mentioned before how much my son would like to play with the boys in your cast of characters!
Many of our conversations start with questions like this...and at some point include him yelling YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING!
(Along with me nodding in complete agreement!)

7/17/2006 01:50:00 p.m.  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

I have this conversation with Mstr A every day. it's hard to keep calm when he just repeats exactly the same words over and over again, but there is no point in losing your temper!

7/17/2006 03:24:00 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Ha, I can totally feel his frustration seeping through here and see Pumpkinpie freaking out if it were her. I hate it the odd time I can't figure out what she's saying, and I'm sure it makes her insane too.

7/17/2006 04:31:00 p.m.  
Blogger Sassy Student said...

aww. George!

That's almost Arthuresque in it's hilarity.

7/17/2006 04:51:00 p.m.  
Blogger Granny said...

Lord, give me that kind of patience.

7/17/2006 05:18:00 p.m.  
Blogger Haley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/17/2006 07:52:00 p.m.  
Blogger Haley said...

Oops, that one was me. What I said was: Ooh that "how did you feel". How obvious. I have nothing but admiration for George's Mother's patience.

7/17/2006 07:54:00 p.m.  
Blogger Tracie said...

That is one patient mother! Patience-something that I need to work on!

7/18/2006 01:48:00 a.m.  
Blogger Jenorama said...

Well, good for George.

I am still waiting for that to happen to me.

7/18/2006 01:15:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Wow! Give that woman a brownie for not only being so patient in trying to understand what he's saying, but also for being able to speak so clearly and eloquently throughout! Ask her to send me a copy of her cliff-notes on parenting in this style. Jordan is about ready to throw me to the wolves!!

7/19/2006 01:13:00 a.m.  
Blogger lara said...

i like that once he makes it clear what he means, she doesn't say something like, "oh! why didn't you say that earlier?" she just asnwers the question like the whole first part of this conversation never happened. she should get a gold star for that one. :-P

7/19/2006 02:36:00 a.m.  
Blogger Nanny Louise said...

I give kudos to George. If anyone is patient it is him.

7/19/2006 12:54:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home