Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Which F-word would that be?

A large, heavy truck trundles by, the noise of its passing rising with the surge of shifting gears. Zach points, bouncing with glee. "Fwuk! A fwuk!!" Darcy's grey eyes dance with mischief. "Fwuk?" he drawls, in a this-has-potential tone. Zach knows better. "No, fwuk." He may not be saying it, but he knows how it should sound. "Fwuk!" "Not fwuk." Zach takes a breath, tries again. "FFFFuk!" Oh, this just gets better and better. Darcy is loving this. "Fuk?" George, who is just as bright as Darcy but lacking Darcy's quick sense of humour, clarifies the "confusion". "No, he means 'suwuk'." Which, of course, doesn't help as much as he thinks. "But he's saying 'fuck'." Darcy knows full well this is a naughty word. I do, too, which is why I'm letting this conversation continue uninterrupted. Darcy and I are sharing a joke, here. Zach has had quite enough. He looks at both bigger boys in some disapproval. "No, no, no! Issa truck!" So there.

9 Comments:

Blogger MsSisyphus said...

HOWLING!

I *love* the "Fuk" stage of language development. When my nephew was at this stage, I gave him Dumpfuks, FireFuks, bigfuks, littlefuks...The best was the Big Book of Fuks. (A. I'm so mature. 2. Vengance was MINE!)

Zen Baby never did the Fuk thing, but she does pronounce "fork" "Fart". That makes for some fun dinner table conversation, let me tell you.

4/11/2006 10:07:00 a.m.  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Weelll, it's one wy of making sure they learn to speak properly.

Not sure it would catch on as formal speach therapy though:-)

4/11/2006 12:52:00 p.m.  
Blogger Stephen (aka Q) said...

Many years ago, my nephew wanted a hockey stick for Christmas. Come Christmas morning, he was thrilled when Santa delivered the goods.

Except his pronounciation was a little off: "I gotta cocky dick!"

4/11/2006 01:18:00 p.m.  
Blogger kittenpie said...

we're missing out on some of this fun, as turcks are tchucks and forks are folks. oh well... at least it's safe at the in-laws.

4/11/2006 04:16:00 p.m.  
Blogger Angela said...

That's actually similar to one of the speech therapists statements (which I may have mentioned before on here but I'm not sure). Kids know what they're saying, and if we mispronounce (imitate) them they can tell us that we're wrong- even if they can't correct it themselves. It's how I finally got K to say milk- one day at lunch she asked for some 'milt' and I repeated 'milt' she looked at me, said no and then said 'milk.' So even if it's not the traditional way of teaching new words, it'll work sometimes!

4/11/2006 06:18:00 p.m.  
Blogger Kristen said...

LOL...that is a funny developmental stage. Kids are hilarious.

4/11/2006 09:13:00 p.m.  
Blogger mo-wo said...

Myself and one good friend with an infant similar in size to mine found out Goodnight moon is reallly good at ensuring your child will say cock, under 1 year of age.

4/12/2006 12:34:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Tina said...

Last summer, my son "regressed". He had been able to say truck, then it became "fruck". The more I tried to get him to say Truck, the more it became "fuk". So I stopped. And then he dropped the "p" on dump, so it became "dum fuk" EVERYTIME we saw one. All the men at my husand's office thought it was SO funny. Poor kid, to this day, doesn't understand why they ask him to say "dump truck" to them. (They are all sad he can say it right at this point.)

4/12/2006 10:25:00 a.m.  
Blogger LoryKC said...

My mother still reminds me that I called the red engines "friar frucks" for quite a while! She was just so relieved I could say my Rrrs!

4/12/2006 11:26:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home