Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Where have all the Timbits gone?

We generally make a Tim Horton's run when Liam is with us. He loves to go - as do the rest - so why not? A coffee for me, a box of Timbits to share, and all for less than $4.00. Can't beat that for an outing! We assemble ourselves around the table, Alice on my lap. I dole out the timbits. Two each, your choice of sour cream or chocolate. The older boys, predictably, wolf theirs and look for more. Being in the business of civilizing them, I tell them they will have to wait until everyone is finished their first helping before we get seconds. They subside, and mournfully watch the slower chewers. A reasonable interval later, I begin to pass round their third and final timbit. But what is this? I'm two short! How can this be? The answer is right under my nose. Alice beams up at me - as much as any girl can beam with a face smeared with chocolate, dusted with sugar, and cheeks bulging with doughnut contraband, one timbit on each side! Good thing extra timbits only cost 12 cents apiece!

10 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

What an imp! She was in prime location though...an oversight on your part perhaps? :)

7/27/2005 12:06:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Si said...

Go on, whats a timbit?

7/27/2005 03:25:00 a.m.  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Haley: Alice has never been a grabber - I've even typed and played the piano with her on my lap and no interference - but I think the girl's growing up! I'll know better next time.

Si: Guess you weren't reading back in May, when I wrote this post. A Timbit is the label given to this item by the Tim Horton's coffeshop chain. Also known as a "donut hole", we pretend it's the punched-out centre of a doughnut, even though we all know doughnuts are not made that way. Any Canadian you meet will know what a Timbit is, as the Tim Horton's coffeeshop chain is everywhere in this country. (And for good reason: decent coffee, cheap.)

7/27/2005 07:23:00 a.m.  
Blogger ieatcrayonz said...

I'm starting to love Tim Horton already.

Alice appears to be stocking up for the winter. I can only imagine how funny she looked with those bulging chipmunk cheeks!

7/27/2005 12:11:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Sharkey said...

Alice is my kind of girl!

7/27/2005 01:35:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Crayonz: Yeah. I wish I could in good professional conscience post some face-on pictures of these kids! It was a sight to behold. She has these bright blue eyes and a head full of blond corkscrew curls that bounce all over. And then those humungo-chipmunk cheeks!! She's a cutie.

Sharkey: go for the gusto, while it's waiting to be had!

7/27/2005 02:36:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Si said...

I can barly remember what I did last week let alone two months ago :-)

7/28/2005 05:57:00 a.m.  
Blogger Mary P. said...

Si: A week? Ha! Some days I can barely remember what I did ten minutes ago. It's quite alarming, when I think on it too much. Yet what I've written sticks thoroughly in my head, egotist that I am. Curiously, so do phone numbers, and I've always been a word person, not a number one. Such are the vagaries of the 40-something memory...

7/28/2005 07:41:00 a.m.  
Blogger Candace said...

We have Dunkin' Donuts, and Munchkins.

YUM.

7/28/2005 11:57:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mary P. said...

We have Dunkin' Donuts, too, but no Munchkins, at least not in urban Ontario. We also have Country Style Donuts, which is not nearly as ubiquitous. My favourite doughnut? Tim Horton's sour cream, the unglazed one. Nice firm texture, not too sweet, perfect for dunking! Yum, indeed.

7/29/2005 03:13:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home